Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Secret of Roan Inish



I was thinking of interesting stories or folktales that haven't been illustrated too often, and I remembered seeing "The Secret of Roan Inish". I researched the folklore behind the story and started sketching some ideas. The story revolves around creatures called 'selkies', which are seals that have the ability to transform into humans. According to the legend, Selkie parents put their children into cradles built for the sea and tie them to rocks on the shore. These children were known to have webbed hands. Other selkies in the sea protected the infants while their cradles bobbed around in the ocean. More illustrations of this folklore to come. :)

2 comments:

mike r baker said...

That was a wonderful, magical movie and you've illustrated it so beautifully! Well done!

Fancy Dirt said...

I love the way you have captured the waves! I'll visit your blog often to see your beauties.